Our Careers Leader, Helen Jones, has responsibility for implementing our Careers Policy, and working towards achieving the Gatsby Benchmarks for careers guidance as well as ensuring that we are acting in line with the statutory guidance “Careers Guidance and Access for Education and Training Providers” (DfE, Jan 2018). She leads and coordinates the School Careers Programme below and can be contacted to access information regarding activities and events. She can be contacted on 01327 855010 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mr Simon Hollies, Assistant Principal, is the member of the Senior Leadership Team with responsibility for Careers.
We review our policy and the impact of it annually by measuring our student destination data. Details of our objectives and how this is provided for are included in the Careers Policy. Events and activities in the School Careers Programme are evaluated by students and staff via a range of methods, usually with a survey before and after the activity. These evaluations are then processed and compared so that we can measure the impact on students and improve our offer each year.
Information for Parents
Your child will receive information about careers during their time at Silverstone UTC. We will provide opportunities for them to develop life skills and core competencies that employers value, by enabling them to take part in employment and enterprise events.
How can you help your child with careers and employability?
There is so much you can do to support your son or daughter:
- Show a genuine interest! Talk to them regularly about their ideas for the future and ask them what they see themselves doing.
- Talk to them about what you do – and other job roles you have had.
- Ask your employer if they would allow you to bring your child to work one day.
- In Years 10/11/12 look on the local college and 6th form websites with them, to see what courses are available (please see links in the useful links section).
- Help them to explore the possible employers, apprenticeship providers and further education courses available in the local area.
- Keep an eye out for things like Open Days (at colleges, universities and training providers) and careers fairs held locally, and attend these where possible.
- Help them to understand the alternative Post-16 options. Find out more about apprenticeships here.
- Encourage them to participate in out of school activities. These are valuable in themselves and will help greatly later on in giving a good impression to people like employers or course tutors.
- Remember! You can speak to Helen Jones – or encourage your son/daughter to see Ms Jones in school.
Information for Employers
As you will see from our Careers Programmes, we have a range of activities and events every year for each of our year groups, which we aim to repeat year on year so that they all receive the same high standard of careers education and the best possible opportunities in relation to employers and the world of work. If you would like to partner with Silverstone UTC to support any of the activities below, please get in touch with Helen Jones email@example.com
- Speed interviewing events
- Work experience opportunities
- Workplace visits
- Employer encounters
- Talks and presentations to students
- Projects / mini enterprise activities
- 45-day industry placements (engineering)
- Internships for leavers
In return you will have access to our pool of talented and aspiring students! We look forward to hearing from you!
Careers Programmes 2020-2021 for each year group can be found below.
Careers Programme for Year 10 2020/2021
Careers Programme for Year 11 2020/2021
Careers Programme for Year 12 2020/2021
Careers Programme for Year 13 2020/2021
(Please note, these are working documents and as such are subject to amendment).
Finding Futures - Local Northamptonshire Careers Magazine
The websites below help provide information regarding the local labour market which will help students develop an understanding of where their studies might take them.
Labour Market Information page of the South-East Midlands Local Enterprise Partnership
Up-to-date Labour Market Information Region-by-Region and Nationally - Labour Market Information – July to September 2019
Labour Market Information Careerometer and Skillsometer
Interested in an apprenticeship - you might find these updates from the National Apprenticeship Service useful:
Silverstone UTC is a member of the SEMLEP Careers & Enterprise Programme and our certification can be found here: SEMLEP Careers & Enterprise Programme Certificate